To rent a car in Florida is part of the dream vacation. Without a rental car, there will be no real Florida vacation.
Follow our advice, read our tips regarding car hire – and trust that the best choice is the world’s largest online portal for rental cars.
It’s easy to book, you get a quality product and the lowest price available online is always guaranteed.
Still, there is a lot to keep in mind. So check out our tips, we want you to have a pleasant experience all the way – booking, payment, pickup and return.
Rent a car – keep it simple. FloridaUSAguide has had Rentalcars (a British company owned by Priceline) as a partner since 2013. Our readers give our British friends a score of 8 out of 10 points.
You are guaranteed a car from one of the well-known companies. Examples: Hertz, Avis, Alamo, National, Dollar, Budget or Thrifty. After booking you can change your reservation right up to the pickup date.
Unlike hotel rooms, there is rarely a lack of rental cars in Florida. It is still advisable to book in time, because the chance for the best possible price increases the earlier you book.
READ MORE: Best hotel areas in Orlando
Our tips, how to rent a car i Florida:
• Book and pay from home. No extra costs in Florida, just hand over the voucher. However, you will be required to show a credit card as a deposit.
• Use a well-known company. There are way too many rogue agencies in this industry.
• Compare prices. There is a lot of difference between the same car models among the agencies.
• Do not be cheap. The trunks in American cars are not adapted to luggage for a whole family. It only costs a little extra to ride more comfortable.
• Say “NO” to anything extra that the car agency tries to sell. What you need is included in the package.
• Choose the provider who, based on your itinerary, has the best deal regarding toll road options.
READ MORE: How to deal with toll roads in Florida
• Book from day one and keep the car during your entire stay in Florida to avoid unnecessary transport and costs if you, for example, are thinking of picking up the car after a night’s sleep upon arrival.
• Remember to check the age limit rules and conditions if you are under 25.
• An international drivers license is not needed. You can drive a people carrier (a mini bus with max 12 passengers) with a normal drivers license.
• The petrol price is low in Florida, but it can differ quite a lot from gas station to gas station.
Deposit with the car rental agency in Florida
This is a cost you get back. The company would prefer to see a credit card, but it also works with a debit card. The deposit is used to cover any unpredictable costs during the rental period. (A practice that applies throughout the world.) Of course, you must have enough credit or money on the card.
Age limits to rent a car in Florida
For persons under 25 years or over 70 years of age, special rules apply, see respective agency information.
Rent a car – do remember:
By renting with Rentalcars you sign two different contracts, one with Rentalcars as the online portal, a second with the agency in Florida. This is because Rentalcars can not take responsibility for legal issues in 167 countries and thousands of locations.
Problems during the Florida trip:
Concerns with the car and similar issues during the rental period should be discussed directly with the local agency, not with Rentalcars.
Pay for additional drivers?
Register additional drivers for Rentalcars at the time of booking. You may be charged extra, different practice depending on which agency you choose.
If you find a cheaper deal – Rentalcars will match the price
The company is the world’s biggest online car rental service and work with every major car hire company in the world, negotiating preferential prices that are only available to Rentalcars.com customers.
They get lower prices because of the amount of rentals they arrange all over the world and once internal costs are covered they can still pass a saving on to you.
Every now and then a client finds a lower price. If you encounter the same, de not hesitate to contact Rentalcars.
“If you have found a comparable deal for less, we want to know. Tell us who, what, where and when and how much they are charging. We will match the price”, the account manager in Manchester says to FloridaUSAguide.
FACTS ABOUT RENTALCARS
• Rentalcars is the world’s largest online car hire portal and provides rental cars in 47,000 locations in 167 countries, working in 40 languages.
• By working with all the major rental companies, they can offer low prices on all car types.
• With a multilingual call center, that is open 7 days a week, they can find the best prices and assist you with all other issues whenever you want – everywhere.
• Headquartered in Manchester, England, 1,200 people work around the clock. The staff is, of course, multilingual to ensure that you get the best service in your own language.
• Rentalcars started on a modest scale (under another name) in 2004 and a few years before FloridaUSAguide came into the picture as a partner, they had reached over 300,000 bookings a year. Today, the number is double – a month! That’s why Rentalcars conveys incredible 7 million cars annually.
• Since 2010, Rentalcars is part of the Priceline group.
Search among Orlando activities, book from homeClick on an activity above. Then choose category to find easier. It is possible to add desired date.
All content on this page and other parts of FloridaUSAguide is based on information from the Scandinavian online publication Florida.nu, established in Clearwater Beach, Florida, 2006.